Jan 9, 2007

ten gnomish question / Vince Twelve of xii games

Vince Twelve, the evil mastermind behind xii games, the creators of such innovative, excellent, very freeware and quite indy adventure games as Anna, What Linus Bruckman Sees When His Eyes Are Closed and Spooks, gets interviewed. Right here. By a gnome. Read on, read on...

1. So, is it Vince Twelve or Vince xii? Oh, and do please add a bit of further personal info to spice things up… The tabloids will love you.

I am not Vince the Twelfth. I do not come from a long line of Vinces. I am Vince Twelve. However, if you want to save a few keystrokes, roman numerals will do.

Quick personal run-down: I’m 24, married, have a one-year-old daughter, and I live in Japan where I teach English in a Junior High School. And for the benefit of the tabloids: I’m dating Jennifer Aniston, have an eating disorder, a drug problem, an illegitimate love-child, and I’m gay. How’s that for spicy?


2. Are you more of a game designer, a programmer or even (don’t deny it) an evolving visual artist?

I’d like to someday be able to say, “Hi, I’m Vince Twelve. I’m a game designer.” But I don’t know if I’m allowed to do that yet. I have a piece of paper in the form of a college degree that proves that I can program. There’s very little subjectivity there. But proving that you can design is a very different thing.

As long as I can remember, I’ve wanted to design games. The only way I can prove to myself that I’m capable in that regard, however, is to release games and get feedback from the players. That’s why I’m always starving for any kind of feedback I can get.

As far as being an artist… while I’m quite pleased with the final looks of both Anna and Linus, I don’t have the artistic skill that I need to realize some of the games that I’d like to make. Plus I take way too long to draw anything. I’m learning as I go, but it’s a slow process.

3. Xii games. Quite a few people have been credited in your three (brilliant) games. Is it indeed a group or are people just coming and going?

Well, Anna was completely a solo outing, but I made the game entirely in a week, so I wasn’t lonely for long.

Spooks was definitely an amazing team effort, but it was still Erin’s baby. She designed, wrote, and drew everything. I joined the project after her previous programmer vanished and took all the game’s code along with him. Erin and I were in constant communication for the next few months as she finished up art and animation and I put the whole thing together. Chris Moorson was also there the whole time working on music and sound.

For Linus, I was back in the designer’s chair. After I worked up a working prototype of the game, I got Nikolas Sideris on board to do the music. But he ended up being much more than just a musician. I sent him updates throughout the development for suggestions and motivation. He was really awesome. The third major member of the Linus team was my wife, who wrote all the Japanese translations as well as providing a lot of support (and if you finished the game and saw the super-secret ending: that was her playing the sexy nurse!). It was really great to be able to share my love for making games with my wife. I definitely plan on involving her in more of my projects.


4.From Anna to What Linus Bruckman Sees When His Eyes Are Closed… What’s next? A paragraph long name?

What’s in a name? As the bard wrote: “A game by any other name would still not emit any odor, because it’s really just a collection of ones and zeros and not a tangible object.” Or something like that…

Yeah, I was totally pleased with the long name. I thought it up really early in development and it just seemed appropriately strange... and it makes more sense if you see the super-secret ending!


5.Right. Names aside, what’s more impressive is your tendency to constantly innovate. Anna is quite possibly the only 3D, keyboard controlled AGS adventure, and Linus really did something never attempted before. So, how important is innovation? Do you believe gamers are actually interested in it?

I do think that innovation is important, but I don’t think it’s necessary in every game. A lot of people are making games with more consideration for nostalgia than innovation, and that’s perfectly fine. Afterall, refining and perfecting old ideas can be just as important as coming up with new ones. If you’re making a game, especially a freeware game, you only have to answer to yourself, so you can make the kind of game that you want to make.

That being said, freeware game makers are in a unique position to innovate. Since they don’t have significant money invested in the game, it isn’t such a big deal if their clever, innovative idea doesn’t work so well in a game as it did in their head. Compared to a big developer with millions of dollars invested in a title’s success, or even a small developer who scraped together every last penny they could find to fund their game, this is a big opportunity to take some risks and try something new.

As for the gamers’ interest in innovation, I suppose that depends on how successful the innovation turns out to be. Afterall, “innovation” implies “new” not necessarily “fun”. I do think that most gamers are always on the lookout for something unique and exciting, and when that new idea turns out to be genuinely fun, you have a real gem of a game. I think Linus was moderately successful in this regard.

6.Linus, well WLBSWHEAC, lets the player simultaneously play two games and experience two stories and two totally different visual styles with only one mouse. You’ve already mentioned the DS (and your shower) was an inspiration. Care to elaborate?

I remember reading a book about game design several years ago that had a lot of advice from big names in the industry. One of the designers, I can’t remember who, said that a good game designer is always thinking about games and should be able to come up with ten game ideas before breakfast. That quote just stuck with me, and since then, I’ve always been challenging myself to come up with different types of game design ideas.

When the Nintendo DS was first announced, I began thinking of the new types of games that could be made for the system. I figured that if I thought of myself as a game designer, I should easily be able to think up some unique new types of gameplay for such an innovative system. One of the ideas that I really liked was having two completely different worlds, one in each screen, and playing them simultaneously. I carried that idea around in the back of my head for a while until I decided to start fleshing it out for a PC game. The idea eventually grew into Linus.

One very rewarding thing is seeing professional designers coming up with ideas very similar to yours and turning them into real commercial games. I was almost finished with Linus when I heard about a DS game called Contact which displays two different worlds on the two screens using two completely different art styles for each. Even though the gameplay is very different – it’s an RPG in which you control only one of the characters – I had to immediately buy the game because of the similarities. Also, Square Enix just announced a new DS game in which you control two characters simultaneously, one on the top screen, one on the bottom. But rather than your commands being mirrored in both screens like in Linus, you control the characters separately – one with the d-pad and one with the stylus.

It’s very interesting to me to see how professional designers play with these similar ideas. It’s also quite gratifying. It makes me feel like I was on the right track with my design.


7.Why is it such a hard and complex game?

Here’s another tidbit for my bio: I also have a degree in mathematics and love brain-bending logic puzzles. Linus, from the start, was going to be a fairly complex puzzle game with a shiny adventure exterior. I know that everyone doesn’t adore a good brain-twister like I do, so I thought I was toning down the difficulty here, I really did!

At the time of me writing this, out of the thousands of downloads from my site and from the other places that it’s been picked up and hosted, only fourteen are listed in the online Hall of Completion. (Though I’m guessing it’s just that most people don’t care enough to go online and type in their completion code…)

That being said, I knew from the get go that this kind of game wouldn’t appeal to everyone. I’m sure that a lot of people download the game because of the promise of something unique and then start to play it only to find out that the gameplay and logic puzzles don’t really appeal to them. But that’s the benefit of making a freeware game. My only real customer is myself! Sorry if anyone found it too hard.


8.What should we expect next of xii games? More innovative thinking? A sequel to the almost traditional but excellent Spooks? An action game? Erotic interactive fiction?

Right now, I’m programming a small game for someone else that I’m not sure I’m allowed to talk about. It’s just a small project that should only take a couple of weeks. After it’s done, I’ll start preliminary work on my next game.

I’ve got several ideas which I’ve trimmed down to two to decide between. I want to do something longer than Anna or Linus and tell a full story. One of the two ideas relies on me finding an artist or two who are willing to help me realize the game, so we’ll see about that. (Any artists out there want to help me out?) But you can be sure that there will be some innovative thinking included in the design. I wouldn’t make a game that didn’t have something unique to offer.

As for the sequel to Spooks, Erin is still working on the story, design, and art. It’s coming but it’s a ways off. And whether or not I’ll be coding it or xii games releasing it is still up in the air.

And I think I’ll leave the erotic fiction up to the fans. I don’t know if you’ve read the recently released “Linus Bruckman Tosses Mortia a Bone,” but it’s quite tittilating.

9.Any thoughts of releasing a commercial game?

Definitely. I would love to release something commercially. Again, however, I would need to find some artists to work with because I don’t feel that my art is of commercial quality. If I could assemble an adequate team right now, my next release would be commercial.


10.Now for the final/double-feature question. Enjoyed any of the recently released adventure games? How’s your Wii doing?

Commercially, I really enjoyed the Blackwell Legacy. Other than that, I haven’t really played many commercial adventure games lately. In 2006, my favorite game was easily Phoenix Wright for the DS. I picked up the sequel here in Japan recently. I don’t think it’s out in the West yet. I haven’t had a chance to start it yet, but I’m really looking forward to cracking it open.

Totally loving my Wii. WarioWare: Smooth Moves has to be the most fun I’ve had (and the dumbest I’ve looked) in quite a while. The one downside of the Wii is that my wife consistently beats me in tennis, and so of course that’s the only game she ever wants to play!

Cheers!

Thanks for taking the time to interview me!

Thanks for taking the time to answer, thanks for the games and good luck!

Related @ Gnome's Lair: Spooks review, Linus sees Samorost, text-adventure maps


Related Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

21 comments:

  1. WOW! Gnome, brilliant post! I missed out on checking out these games when first posted... Will be definitely checking them out now...
    I think the fact that you actually got to interview the developer makes the whole thing that much more interesting! This place is becoming more like a true 'publication' than just a 'blog' more of the same please!

    I personally would like to see an interview with that chap who wrote the brilliant posts on Tht 'Treamcast' and 'X Men DS' on the fledgling site 'Gnome's Gaming On The Go' Now what was his name again? *cough!* :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most excellent interview, well done you!! may i also point out jennifer aniston is actually dating me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, glad you enjoyed the interview dear friends. Oh, and may I add that Jennifer is greek (I think)?

    Now, what should one interrogate a Krishna about?

    ReplyDelete
  4. greek!.... well that explains jennifers natural affinity ot Irish people.... a match made in heaven....

    ReplyDelete
  5. "If you’re making a game, especially a freeware game, you only have to answer to yourself, so you can make the kind of game that you want to make."

    Amen. Someone who thinks like me! I don't think enough independent game designers subscribe to this attitude, and try to make me-too games just to impress others. His comments on innovation in game design should also be read by anyone who sits down to design a game. Kudos for a great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brian, I'm glad you enjoyed the interview and appreciated Vince's wisdom :) Oh, and a most interesting site you got there...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and, Mr. Elderly.... What will Angelina think though?

    ReplyDelete
  8. ..erm ...well,

    why?

    you don't think she'd be offended do you?

    i mean i have to put up with her parading around with that Brat pitt.

    ..though on reflection, maybe i should break it off with aniston....

    (texts jennifer aniston.........)

    ITS OVER!

    right well i've done it.... lets see if it has any effect....

    thank you gnome for your advice...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait until you see the game I've been working on for the past five months :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome Elderly friend... Advice -as you know- is always free, and frankly you do get what you pay for... Jessus man, you could have been sweeter... Could've given her a flower or something. A chocolate perhaps... But simply a text message? Far too brutal methinks... Hopefully Angelina will be available though....

    Wow, please brian, do tell a bit more.. It's a Dreamcast game, isn't it? Fenix developed, right? Come on, come on, give us a hint. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, it's a Dreamcast game coded in Fenix. And it's about to go alpha, so you'll see it VERY soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great! Just drop me a comment when the time comes... please?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Send me your email to webmaster@orubin.com and I'll put you on the tester's list :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ..chocolate? flowers... but it's so too time consuming....

    congrats on the testing....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks brian... mail sent! :)

    Thanks on the congrats Elderly, and I'd go with the chocolate...

    ReplyDelete
  16. (takes out the caramels, posts chocolate box to Jennifer Aniston....)

    there i don't feel so bad now...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bravo! Both a gentleman and a chap!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I must say, I am a bit miffed that no mention has been made of Vince’s roots. Do people think that such off-center innovation, staggeringly clever story telling and Dadist flair for the poetic title, spring spontaneously like flies from the cerebral dung of our intellectual byways? Jeeze. Toss me a bone here, guys.

    ReplyDelete
  19. (tosses otis a bone)

    Hmmmm, you did mean dadist, didn't you? Interesting that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My father, ladies and gentlemen...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahhh! That's great... Ohhhh, and I did mean dadaist, not dadist, thus.. well, hm, nevermind.

    :)

    ReplyDelete