Feb 6, 2008

Add some freeware dark fantasy to your Civ IV

Civ IV Fall From Heaven II modCivilization II: Fantastic Worlds (these days available only in the Civilization Chronicles collection) has always been my favorite flavor of Civ, as it seamlessly managed to combine Sid Meier's amazing empire building game mechanics with a dragon infested, properly fantasy world. Apparently though, time does indeed go by and Civ II is considered by many passé. 2D graphics they sneer. Shallow diplomacy, slow gameplay and no resources they add.

Well, dear tech snobs, I must admit this time you do have a point. Civilization IV is indeed a vast improvement over Civ II and probably the best Civilization game to date. Happily it can also make sure us dark fantasy fetishists can get our Tolkien-esque gaming via the excellent, mighty impressive and kindly freeware Fall From Heaven II mod. You can download all 312MB of said total conversion mod from this place, install it and enjoy its heroes, weird new civilizations, dark religions, RPG-style gameplay additions and shiny new graphics. Oh, and e prepared to research and cast tons of spells...

Related @ Gnome's Lair: Half Life 2 total conversions, Darkness over Daggerford, Battlefield 40k: the mod, 100 excellent free games

11 comments:

  1. Uhm... I've no experience of any of those Civ thingies... I do have a game for my PC called "Heroes IV The Gathering Storm"... Can I be a part of the gang?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, yes, I guess, but only because it's you Father...

    (signs membership card, presses play on the reobot-band-unleashing panel and gives FK the card)

    Then again, you really should try Civ IV. It's an amazing game. Heroes iV on the other hand is the worse of the HOMM lot I'm afraid, though definitely a good game compared to others. Try Heroes 3 and 5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello and Goodbye guys..!!
    Should be around in a week. Just getting the internet installed in the new house next week...

    Cya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why, welcome back and see you soon too dear Deitrix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dunno, the new Civs seem fun enough. I played them each for a while. Eventually though, I find that I've had tons more fun playing Civ II or Alpha Centauri than Civ III and IV combined. I'm not even sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I wish my computer would let me run this, but God says no. Maybe some day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh capital l, you wise capital letter you, to each his own I guess. I after all still consider Championship Manager 97/98 is still my favorite football management game.

    David dear, you could ask god for a more powerful PC I guess. Failing that try Santa. Or Buddha. Allah might come in handy too and don't start get me started with them Hindu deities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woot! I bought Sid Meier's Civilization Chronicles collection which has Civ4 in there - can't wait to try this conversion mod out. Exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indeed, but not as shocking as you actually typing -and I quote- "woot". Scarred for life I am...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The civ's are okay if your pc can run em........sigh!!

    Gnome i have changed yafazegaming to www.yafaze.com and have updated you as an afiliate.

    i lost all affiliates when i changed theme

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to know you're still around. I'll be adding you asap.

    ReplyDelete