Jun 17, 2007

Colecovision emulation and free retro games

ColecoVision, the only console ever produced by a leather company, a regular at the Retro Treasures blog, early home of Donkey Kong and an obvious source of inspiration for the Atari Jaguar controller, is also the retro gaming machine with the simplest and most intuitive freeware emulator I've ever come across: the Virtual ColecoVision. All you need to do is download the emu's archive, extract the files, run the aptly named VColeco executable, load a ROM and play away.

Happily, the above link will also get you some -legally okay, I guess- free Colecovision games to get you started. As for me, well, I'd suggest you give Donkey Kong, Zaxxon, Burger Time and Mr. Do a go. Oh, and do check the pretty relevant Wikipedia entry too.

Related @ Gnome's Lair: 1980 Coleco video games, the Vectrex feature, the night of the living Dreamcast

14 comments:

  1. I have a compilation disc of these games on PSX. It cost me a paltry $2 to purchase too. Too bad so many of the games don't play that well anymore... but I had an afternoon of fun with them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Admittedly they are not the most complex form of digital entertainment ever created... Can be fun though... And 2$ for a whole afternoon ain't that bad either...

    Let's not forget the historic value of the thing either. Ahem. Right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WICKED! It's got a Wii remote!!

    *waves it around aimlessly*

    Nothing's happening.

    *keeps waving around*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yes. Not very motion-sensing either, I'm afraid...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite auction item.... maybe it's the mantric quality of "colecovision"....

    (sits and watchs J waving the remote around for a few minutes..)

    ..I dont' feel well....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't worry... it's the soup. You'll be better in a couple of hours. POst an auction, will you? Coleco will thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like an emulation disc for The Dreamcast... and I'd wilingly pay $2. Now where would that be?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ebay? Amazon? PLay-Asia? Under your pillow? Inside our collective closet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. ..we have a collective closet?.....(heads off to have a look.....)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course we do. We've always had one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. (opens closet, steps inside... closet doors close...)


    Gnome is dark in here... sokay i found the switch

    .....YIKES!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let me take this from here. Sorry... Now, it should be safe...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish someone would publish a compilation disc on the PS2 of ColecoVision games, along with the arcade versions of those games.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That would be quite an idea, really. Then again I'm pretty sure the rights for the games will be quite a mess and sales definitely not guaranteed...

    BTW, that's an extremely promising blog you started there.

    ReplyDelete