Jan 19, 2007

Colonize freely...

The white devil, the accursed European man, the slaughterer of continents, the rapist of the seven seas, the ravager of worlds, the daddy of imperialism and bringer of colonization. Colonization... Then again, Colonization (thankfully not a TM just yet) isn't necessarily a bad thing, provided of course one's referring to Sid Meier's excellent and quite retro Civ-clone usually referred to as Colonization. Now, according to the pretty excellent Ghacks.net blog Colonization is making a freeware comeback in the guise of FreeCol, which apparently is to Colonization what FreeCiv is to Civilization.

[As an homage towards Monty Python this post is dedicated to the men who died in order to keep China British]

Related @ Gnome's Lair: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Games, freeware Ultima-ish EUO Online, 30 hand-picked free games


Related Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for that link. I like Colonization and won't mind having a free version around to play with.

    Also, Kudos on that website (gHacks) you found. I had never heard of it and it looks chock full of good information. You look like your fairly busy as well, posting your comments on their site too.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know you like both FreeCol and Kudos, as I'm quite a fan of theirs meself. Kudos thoush is also a rather fine game too:

    gnomeslair.blogspot.com/2007/01/pc-review-kudos.html

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm...... I didn't mean to refer to the game Kudos. I do remember seeing you talk about it but decided to hold off on it. Maybe if I had not capitalized that word, kudos....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, I know.. it's not a capitalization thing, it's just it struck me as funny at the moment... refering the game that is... So, uhm .. right!

    Kudos goes to Ghacks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah. The quirky humor of gnomes. I got it now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes...quirky, but definitely not succesful! Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just dont see Gnomes 'round these parts that often...

    I've been super busy this week so I haven't been able to check out your blog all week long. I finally got to today and I have to say, the new posts kick ass. Keep up the good work, Gnome, and good post here, too. I'll try to update this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be checking you out then... Thanks for dropping in ross!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sid meier equals God!, so much of my live i devoted to him......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good find, Gnome! Colonization is one of my favorite games, be nice to have another version of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Built an altar already, have you Mr. Elderly?

    Thanks Possum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. why... how did you know about the altar....?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uhm, it was in Architects Digest i think, ar was it in an architecturally intricate digestive system? Hm... Must have seen it on TV then

    ReplyDelete
  14. ..damn i always miss out on some of my lifes most important events... im sure I was sleepwalking when i got married.... how did i look in the photo spread on architects digest... hope they shot my good side....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes, they sure did.. You look 100% demonic and powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ...lovely.... happy now

    (smiles....)

    ReplyDelete